Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lost on Planet China


I love J. Maarten Troost. His wry sense of humor and his writing grabbed me in both of his previous travelogues, The Sex Lives of Cannibals and Getting Stoned With Savages. In his newest book, Lost on Planet China, we get to travel with Maarten as he tackles that great unknown, China. Thinking I knew something of the place, I was surprised to find out I was actually quite ignorant. I've got a whole new perspective on the 2008 Summer Olympics to be held in Beijing now; I wonder how the television studios are going to be able to put a good spin on that city's pollution in particular. I loved how Maarten takes us through lesser known areas and shows us the peoples of China up close and personal; his sense of humor is often the only thing keeping him from willfully hurting someone. I'll be looking forward to seeing where we'll be traveling next.
My amazon review is at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076792200X/ref=cm_cr_thx_view. Please drop by and give me a vote if you are so inclined.
~taminator40

1 comment:

Andi said...

YAY! I cannot wait to give this one a go. Interlibrary loan, here I come!