Today's Grateful List/31 December 2015

  • Going to get answers no matter what

Friday, June 19, 2015

Hey There! (A Rat Pack Mystery)

By the time you get to the third book in the Rat Pack Mysteries, you pretty much know what you're going to get: a Rat Pack member (or two) with an issue that our hero, Eddie G., can help discreetly, but things go awry and bullets fly. This time it's Sammy Davis Jr., who has the problem: a roll of film has disappeared from Sammy's home and it contains some photos Sammy would prefer not be made public. Of course the situation calls for the utmost care and discretion, and Eddie G., pit boss at the Sands in the 1960s, is called upon to act as a go-between for Sammy and the blackmailers holding the photo. It doesn't take long for the incident to take a deadly turn and soon Eddie finds himself, along with his buddy Jerry Epstein, into things much, much deeper than an embarrassing photo for Sammy. Indeed, it becomes clear that there is something else on that roll of film that people in very high places need to make sure does not get out. But can Eddie maneuver his way through the obstacles and stay alive?
It's no secret that I love these books, and this one is no exception. When I think I have things figured out (and I did feel pretty smug about this one), I find out that I'm not as smart as I thought I was. Randisi does an admirable job of weaving people and events of the times throughout his novels, and  he evokes the era clearly in his descriptions. I'm totally hooked on this series and highly recommend it to anyone, but especially those with an interest in the heyday of Frank, Deano, Sammy, and the gang.

~taminator40

No comments: